About the Community Fund for Canada’s 150th
Canada’s sesquicentennial is an historic moment with the power to bring people and places together as we dream big about our communities and our country. In the spirit of this moment, the Community Fund for Canada’s 150th will activate a breathtaking array of ideas and activities that will bring out the best that Canada has to offer, now and for future generations.
The Community Fund for Canada’s 150th is a small grants program that will support community initiatives from coast to coast to coast. The Fund is a collaboration between Canada’s community foundations, the Government of Canada, and extraordinary leaders from coast to coast to coast.
The Fund is based on grassroots leadership, and will take on a local focus and timeline in each community. For more information on the involvement of Muskoka Community Foundation in the Community Fund for Canada’s 150th, contact Lynn DeCaro at 705-646-1220 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why is Muskoka Community Foundation participating in the Community Fund for Canada’s 150th?
Partnering with the Community Fund for Canada’s 150th provides Muskoka Community Foundation with access to matching funding to make more grants to organizations within Muskoka. Muskoka Community Foundation has a pool of $20,000 available to award and will consider applications for grants of up to $3,000 for projects that meet the eligibility criteria. The Muskoka Community Foundation will give priority to projects that work to build vibrant and healthy communities and advance Muskoka Community Foundation’s aim to create a Smart & Caring Muskoka.
Who can apply?
Registered charities or qualified donees operating within the District of Muskoka are eligible to apply through Muskoka Community Foundation to the Community Fund for Canada’s 150th.
Community groups and individuals are welcome to work with a qualified donee to make an application to the Fund. In the case of such a collaboration, the qualified donee would submit the application and act as a fiscal agent on behalf of the collaborating parties.
Please note that the following are not eligible to apply:
- The Government of Canada (federal government);
- The federal, provincial, and territorial governments;
- The Crown; and
- The United Nations.
How much are the grants worth?
Muskoka Community Foundation has a pool of $20,000 available to award and will consider applications for grants of up to $3,000 for projects that meet the eligibility criteria.
What are the selection criteria for projects?
A wide range of projects are eligible for funding as long as they meet the following selection criteria:
- Eligible projects must be based in Canada and must work towards the Fund’s objectives to:
- ENCOURAGE participation in community activities and events to mark Canada’s 150th.
- INSPIRE a deeper understanding about the people, places and events that shape our communities and our country.
- BUILD vibrant and healthy communities with the broadest possible engagement of all Canadians, including Indigenous peoples, groups that reflect our cultural diversity, youth, and official language minorities.
- Eligible projects must commit to performing funded activities and expenditures between the date that the grant is approved and before January 31, 2018.
- All successful applicants must match the amount of the grant made through in-kind or cash contributions. For example, an applicant that requests a $2,000 grant for a project would be required to contribute $2,000 worth of funding from other sources and/or in-kind support such as volunteer hours, donated services, equipment or space.
Muskoka Community Foundation will give priority to projects that address the third objective of building vibrant and healthy communities so that our Foundation can advance our aim to create a Smart & Caring Muskoka
Are there any projects or expenditures that are ineligible for funding?
The following projects will be ineligible for funding:
- Large-scale infrastructure projects (ie. building a building or a local facility).
- Recurring events, activities or festivals (ie. the annual folk fest, the 26th annual community fair)
- Projects related to political activities or lobbying
- Projects that are designed for fundraising purposes
- Projects deemed controversial, dismissive or offensive
- Ongoing activities, such as the publication of regular issues of newsletters, magazines and periodicals
- Any activity taking place outside Canada
- Projects that are funded in whole or in part by the Government of Canada
Expenditures that are necessary to the successful completion of the project are eligible. The following outline the expenditures that are ineligible – please keep them in mind when designing your project:
- Project expenditures that have been or are funded by institutions of the federal government;
- Large capital expenses (recommended to be kept below $2,000 per expense)
- Purchase of alcoholic beverages or liquor permits
- Gifts, payments for recognition, or prizes
- Expenditures made after January 31, 2018.
When can I apply?
Muskoka Community Foundation will be accepting applications for the Community Fund for Canada’s 150th during the following application period: August 15 to September 23, 2016
How can I apply?
All applications will be received through the Community Fund for Canada’s 150th granting platform. You will be directed to register an account before you can start your application.
The information gathered through the application process will not be made public, and will be available only to Muskoka Community Foundation, Community Foundations of Canada and the Government of Canada exclusively for purposes related to the Fund.
What information do I need for the application?
All applications will be made online at https://www.cfc150.fluidreview.com.
This video provides an overview of the online application process.
When preparing your application, note that there are three main steps:
- Application form. A preview of the form’s questions is available HERE.
- Project budget. The budget template is available HERE, please read our FAQ to learn more about eligibility criteria and matching requirements.
- ‘Other Contributions (Matching)’ form. This form will confirm the sources of your project’s matching contributions, whether in cash and/or in-kind. A preview of this confirmation is available HERE.
What are the reporting requirements if our application is successful?
The story of the Community Fund for Canada’s 150th will be told as part of the 150Alliance, an open network of groups, individuals and organizations working together to make the most of Canada’s sesquicentennial.
Within 30 days of receiving the grant, Grantees are required to:
- Join the 150Alliance
- Add the funded project to the directory
- Share information about the project – related events, milestones, public activities and volunteer opportunities
Within 15 days of project completion, Grantees are required to:
- Upload at least one photograph of the project
- Tell a success story about the project
- Provide Muskoka Community Foundation with a report on the outcome of your completed project.