About the Foundation
Community means so many things to so many people, and the world to us.
In all we do and all we say, we are all for community.
Community vitality has been our purpose, promise and passion since 2007 when we started connecting donors to local needs and opportunities. Together, we help build strong and resilient places to live, work and play.
Muskoka Community Foundation’s vision is that Muskoka will include and offer opportunities to everyone, and possess the knowledge and ability needed to shape its future. Muskoka will be able to address pressing issues like hunger, unemployment and housing, and our citizens will benefit from the best our community can offer: the arts, recreation, health care, education, safe and inclusive neighbourhoods and a healthy environment.
Vitality requires long-term resources to create lasting solutions and thrives under strong and innovative leadership.
Muskoka Community Foundation will build our community’s vitality by:
- Working with donors to build endowment and other funds that ensure ongoing community health
- Granting to the widest possible range of organizations and initiatives throughout Muskoka.
- Bringing Muskokans together to stimulate new ideas, build participation and strengthen
To create a smart & caring Muskoka by engaging the community in a forward-thinking, collaborative, and open conversation that respects our diversity, ensures perpetual community health and vitality and is accountable to our stakeholders.
Our Endowment Philosophy
- We encourage the creation and support of endowment funds within the charitable sector of
- We work to increase donations to endowment funds held by all Muskoka charities, and
- We avoid active fundraising that competes with other area charities, except fundraising directed to our immediate operating needs, the Muskoka Community Foundation Fund and the Smart & Caring Muskoka Fund.
We bring donors to the table as community builders.
Muskoka Community Foundation helps community builders formulate and realize their philanthropic goals by matching their interests and concerns with community needs and organizations. We help them find innovative and responsible ways to give their investments lasting impact.
We take the broadest view of what a community is and what it needs to succeed.
Muskoka Community Foundation grants support everything from shelter, sustenance and care for those most in need, to recreation, the arts and the environment.
We take the long-term view for our communities.
Muskoka Community Foundation identifies long-term needs and opportunities and invest in sustainable solutions, helping our communities become resilient, resourceful and ready for the future.